Featured STEAM links:
STE(A)M at OCS
At OCS, we are building a Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM) approach to education around the foundation of our traditionally-strong Arts & Academics Program.
It all adds up to STE(A)M.
Every staff member at OCS received STEAM certification in January 2014.
What is STE(A)M?
STE(A)M is a framework for teaching all subject areas according to the new North Carolina Standard Course of Study.
STE(A)M is characterized by learning that is highly engaging and deeply interdisciplinary while incorporating as many elements of Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, & Math as often as possible.
Our STE(A)M framework supplements, rather than replaces, a focus on solid, research-based instructional practices in core subject areas.
There are 3 main ways that STEAM is integrated at OCS:
- Ongoing-natural-fit “sprinkling” of S-T-E-A-M into everyday core instruction
- Occasional-extended, group & interest-based opportunities for Project-Based Learning (PBL) focusing on STEAM interconnections
- Stand-alone Engineering (Project Lead The Way STEM Curriculum) and Arts (click “Arts” tab above) classes
- Numerous experts cite the urgent need to integrate the Arts with STEM practices in order to make learning more well-rounded while developing 21 Century Learning Skills in students:
- STE(A)M supports college and career readiness by focusing on real-world application of rigorous academics.
- STE(A)M jobs are growing 2-3 times faster with 26% higher wages vs. non-STE(A)M. Source: US Dept. of Commerce
What are the benefits?
- Teaches kids to think like artists AND engineers.
- Learning is more fun, challenging, and relevant for students & teachers.